We are looking for an education-obsessed Lead Engineer to join our team in scaling access to opportunity for students in the K-12 system. If you or someone you know gets pumped about the idea of building a tech team and a product that helps students use technology to share their personal stories and experiences with their communities, while connecting with college and work opportunities, read on and let’s chat!
As Lead Engineer at Noble Impact, you will be responsible for scaling a social-enabled digital portfolio platform while being the Captain Kirk of our U.S.S. Enterprise: “running point on big projects, midnight deploys, spearheading technical debt efforts, [creating and] following best practices, digging into the nastiest bugs, etc.”
Working within an Agile development methodology, you will lead and collaborate with other engineers and work closely with the Product team to deliver an exceptional user experience to our key stakeholders: student, teachers, and school administrators. In addition, you will stay atop new technologies and frameworks, assist with prototyping and proof-of-concepts, and ensure a high level of code quality from the team.
Beyond being a generalist developer with a will to lead and an ever-expansive desire to learn, our ideal candidate would be passionate about disrupting education, have an entrepreneurial spirit, and possess a background in managing startup tech teams, particularly with a focus on social networking-based products. This person would care a great deal about making an impact on the world and building an exceptional product within the EdTech space. He or she would be not only willing, but excited to get down and dirty with code as an early-stage startup teammate and founding tech lead.
In this role, you will:
- Lead the development team in execution of the development pipeline and delivery of the organization’s software products to QA and ultimately to production
- Maintain a hands-on role with both front-end and back-end web (and eventually mobile) development
- Serve as Scrum Master in agile development process, as key connector to product team
- Work closely with product owner and team members to decompose stories, design features, and prioritize tasks
- Tackle arising technical challenges strategically and collaboratively as the tech lead
- Lead hiring for technology talent, including two junior developers immediately
- Onboard new tech talent and demonstrate an innate sense of duty for following best practices
- Mentor junior developers, challenging them to be independent, while also providing necessary guidance
You’re our ideal teammate if you have:
- Experience recruiting and managing great engineers and designers
- Experience as technical lead on an agile scrum team
- Thorough understanding of agile software development
- Full-stack development experience, especially building scalable web and mobile apps
- Passion for education
- Ability to direct technology stack decisions that aligns with product vision
- Customer-focused development philosophies
- Love for Little Rock, Arkansas (where we are based)
- A desire to change the world
On the technical side, we’re looking for a lead with:
- Proficiency with Git, having experience managing multiple branches of code into development, beta, and production deployment environments
- Professional experience with the LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- Professional experience with Laravel 5+ or other mature PHP frameworks
- Experience with Bootstrap and CSS Preprocessors such as SASS or LESS
- Experience with automation tools such as Gulp
- Experience integrating external service APIs, especially the following: SendGrid, ZenDesk, and Google Analytics
- Experience managing servers and deployments using Enoyer.io and Laravel Forge
You can expect:
- A full-time position with competitive salary
- Health and dental insurance
- Flexible working hours and at-home working options
- Opportunities to attend and speak at conferences
- Passionate and impact-minded teammates
- A collaborative, growth-focused, fast-moving culture
- High-level connectivity within the education ecosystem
- A vetted, existing, and active beta user base of 500+ local students to jive with
The person who fills the role of Lead Engineer at Noble Impact will collaborate with VP of Product Erica Swallow, who managed the technical MVP building process with a local web development shop. For a look under the hood of the portfolio product or to discuss this role, email or tweet Erica at email@example.com or @ericaswallow!
Noble Impact is an education non-profit that provides relevant and purpose-driven education to K-12 students through a project-based and portfolio-driven learning experience. We currently offer a digital portfolio product to 500+ students in Central Arkansas. After running a non-technical MVP built on Weebly and connected to in-class curriculum, we validated customer value from multiple user segments, including students, teachers, school administrators, employers, and college recruiters and built a technical MVP to share with our beta customers.
Our product is built upon Laravel 5 and utilizes Vue.js, MariaDB, Bootstrap, and numerous open source plugins. As Lead Engineer, you should be comfortable guiding architectural and product development decisions based on industry best practices and your experience. You should be highly cognizant of today’s increasing mobile use, especially amongst young people and help us develop with a mobile responsive and performance mindset. We’re looking to build a pleasant and intuitive experience for our student and teachers.
The beta product launches in mid-July under management of an exceptional team of contract developers, and we’d like to bring on our full-time development team in August, starting with our Lead Engineer, to take over development.
Our vision for this tool is that it will be the social network and digital portfolio tool that scales access to opportunity for elementary, middle, and high school students. To do that, we need a technology visionary to join our ranks!
We hope you are as excited about changing education as we are. If so, please contact us to talk about joining our team, by connecting with VP of Product Erica Swallow, at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ericaswallow. The Noble team is also accessible at email@example.com. Please attach your resume, LinkedIn, GitHub, portfolio, and/or other resources that speak to your experience.